Friday, March 26, 2010

Inspiration comes in strange ways

You never know where inspiration for a leather project will come from. I had the day off today and instead of doing something productive, I was laying on the couch feeling crappy with the cold I've had all week. We've got a strange cat that thinks when I'm watching Criminal Minds on TV, I should also be playing fetch with her. She jumps up on the back of the couch and drops her little pink stuffed mouse on my lap. Then she waits for me to throw it, watches where it lands, crouches down, and when she's ready she flies across the room to retrieve it. Maybe she thinks if she acts like a dog, I'll like her more.




One time when I looked up at the cat, I noticed something really interesting. We've got a print by Nancy Glazier on the wall over the couch next to one of my deer mounts. When I looked up at the picture, there was a reflection of the deer showing in the corner of the print.




I've always thought that an elk scene similar to the one on Nancy's print would look neat on leather. I've also always wanted to do another shadow box scene similar to the one I created with some pictures I took in Rocky Mountain National Park a few years ago.

Seeing that reflection in the picture on the wall started the wheels turning in my head and now there is another project that needs to be added to the list of things I want to do someday. A shadow box picture with a mule deer buck gazing down on a group of elk grazing below. I'm not sure how it'll all come together yet, but the process has started.

No comments: